You no doubt you already know that content is king, and video is king of content!
But how do I build content into a series that people are interested in? This is the subject challenging my good friend Andries. I met Andries as a first year student studying in New Zealand. I challenged him to follow Jesus, and soon after we were making films together. These days, Andries is a dentist in Australia. But he still makes films in his spare time that impact people for Christ. Like this…
But how do I keep with the times and make content that is compelling, engaging and of value? How do I get subscriptions and develop an audience? I asked Andries to keep figuring these questions out. Below is Andries’ research on how to build desirable content and house it in a successful youtube channel. It’s our prayer that this information helps position you and prepare you to truly connect with your audience!
Enjoy this research, from Aaron, Andries and Beau.
- Set 1:59 Minute Cap to initial content.
- Prone to click elsewhere if they see it goes for longer than 2 minutes. 43% drop from 1:59 to 2:01
- Average length watched of a single internet video 2.7 minutes
- Start small in series, graduate to longer content with further releases on a topic.
- Staircase your content. Once you have built brand value – you can graduate to longer content and maintain viewership.
Make it interesting
- Do not make or publish boring looking things ever.
- Humor is a must, people are more likely to respond and engage with humour than continuous seriousness. (See the film above)
- Christians are not known for humor, so be different!
- Simple and direct communication wins every time.
Colour matters – Colour is emotion
Keep shades of colours consistent with branding. Simple and clean is key.
- YELLOW Optimism, Clarity, Warmth
- ORANGE Friendly, Cheerful, Coincidence
- RED Excitement, Youthful, Bold
- PURPLE Creative, Imaginative, Wise
- BLUE Trust, Dependable, Strength
- GREEN Peaceful, Growth, Health
- GREY WHITE Balance, Calm
Accurate Personas are key in understanding your audience.
Popular persona profiles reachable with you tube content:
- Broken Families
- Blended Families
- Independent types
- Individualistic types
- Consumeristic types
- Here and Now mentality
- YOLO (You only live once)
- FOMO (Fear of missing out)
Establish your Audience
Here is an example:
- 17yrs – 30yrs old
- Male and Female
- Computer Literate
- Western English Speaking
- Simplified “spirituality”
- Drop the jargon
- Most western people are spiritual but aren’t religious.
- Most people don’t know a Christian
- Most people haven’t been to church or seen a bible
What the viewers need to know about the channel:
- who we are
- what we stand for
- who benefits from what we are giving
- how we propose on making it happen
Rules for content put up on YouTube
STEP 1: Create a catchy Headline
- No more than 140 characters
- Most important message you want the viewer to know
- Make a simple clean introduction
STEP 2: Sell the 3 Major Benefits
- Average only process 3 pieces of information at any one time
- What’s in it for me? Mentality
- Make it clear how it will bring value to them
STEP 3: PROVE IT!
- Reinforce the 3 benefits with short stories, examples or statistics
STEP 4: Love it!
- Be excited about it
- People will relate to fun and energy
- (Workout before???) (pump it) (Be motivated… energy drink)
STEP 5: Call to Action
- Close with a simple but massive call
- What do we want them to do next?
- Make it clear