Close to half of missionaries who go to a foreign language nation quit in the first 5 years. The biggest reason missionaries quit is because they fail to successfully learn the language of their target nation.
Achieving fluency in a language is hard work. That challenge is multiplied if the language is poorly documented, and that’s the majority of nations where mission work takes place. Sometimes there are no apps, no classes,and no textbooks for a target language.
I have personally coached dozens of people to be successful in language learning but most mission organisations do not have the resources to assign new arrivals with a language coach.
We are working on a Language Coaching project called “Grow Fast – Grow Deep“. The goal of this project is to make coaching available to all missionaries belonging to any organisation.
“Grow Fast – Grow Deep” provides A.I. language coaching for missionaries and would-be missionaries. A language learning program for a poorly documented language can be put together in less than a few hours. We are about to revolutionise language learning on the frontiers!
The “Grow Fast – Grow Deep” WebApp coaches language students weekly by assessing their progress and coaching them with proven methods to see them progress in an effective and fast manner. All of our students we have coached to fluency in less than 1 year, where friends I know in my city who have not had coaches are still not fluent after 5 years.
If we are successful in this project it will have an enormous impact on the global mission field. The project is language-neutral, meaning it is being designed to be adaptable to any conceivable language – both in terms of target languages and a student’s native language. You could even use it to teach Klingon.
We have a need for a lot of different types of people. Join us, and make a huge difference!
- Alpha testers: Version 1.0 is going live Sept 21 ’17 – we need you to test it out and help shape future direction by sharing your ideas on the User Experience – particularly people with any experience in trying to learn a second-language.
- Foreign language speakers to provide translation, write short story content, make audio recordings, and create language content.
- Linguists: To assist in project design – we need to explore the complexities of handling the peculiarities associated with different world languages.
- Webdesign – HTML5, Jquery and CSS experienced people to make a smooth web experience
- PhoneApp developers: No thought has yet gone into how this project could best be packaged for consumption on smartphones – we need you to give your expert opinions!
- Python Django programmers: We need to develop a core team of long-term committed developers. Dip your toe in and see if you want to stay.
- Database: DB for Production version has not yet been chosen.
- Machine learning: Help design the Ai Coach to advise helpfully and predict student progress based on profile information and historical user data.
- Marketing: The motivation for this project is to equip missionaries, but it will be launched as a free secular service – more users = more user-generated content = greater experience. A public launch strategy and timetable with steps needs to be developed.
- Dreamers: Get involved and you will see the potential. What features do you think it needs? Which ideas should be given priority?