Walk Beside is a mobile app that helps Christians form meaningful relationships as they mentor or disciple others online.
Features were initially chosen based on field experience in online evangelism and discipleship and then refined and affirmed by interviewing many local and international missionaries most of whom expressed strong interest. We trust it will be valued by many Christian ministry teams and churches.
Mentors can adapt lesson plans based on their understanding of the mentee’s needs and include their own life stories and personal lessons interwoven with scriptures to enable deeper guided spiritual conversations. Time efficiency features multiply the impact of “the labourers that are few”. An improved experience is offered to users having low or intermittent bandwidth or a limited data budget. Many other exciting features have been envisaged beyond the initial MVP release.
Like to know when it’s ready? If you’d like to know when this app is ready just complete this form.
We’re also seeking like minded sponsors to assist us in this project. There are many in ministry who have affirmed the need and are eagerly awaiting it’s release so this project is an excellent ministry investment. If you’d like to find out more please complete this form .
Like to contribute to this project? We’re seeking volunteers to work on a list of software components that can be independently developed, tested and open sourced. Software development tasks require a minimum 3 years software development experience. We’re also seeking assistance to prepare course content and marketing/promotional material. When contacting us please mention your relevant experience and interest areas.
If you’re interested .. Yep … You guessed it … please complete this form .
We don’t the expect you to have ALL these skills but rather have a reasonable subset and be a confident self learner.
- Angular 4+ Ionic 3
- NodeJS / Express / Loopback
- Mocha or Jasmine Unit testing
- Postgres / Redis
- WordPress API / PHP integration.
- Git / CI / SDLC / VSCode
- Docker / Cloud DevOps / Security / Microservices
- App Graphics / Web Site / Video Production / Infographic design
- Spirit-filled team players!
Hackerton 2017 Melbourne
- We were overwhelem with a room full of developers in Melbourne offering to assist Walk Beside this year so we divied into multiple teams.
- A team worked on researching cloud APIs that we plan to use. They documented data and API quirks.
- Another team built actual prototype that we demonstrated a tri-media bible component.
- A team of IT students investigated potential user interface designs for the course editor.
- Ryan Seal (Colorado) developed video and audio player components for the tri-media prototype. Thanks Ryan!
- Joshua Austin (Chicago) decided to merge with our project and join us long term.
- We won the Melbourne Hackerthon!! One of the judges indicated he could see its potential use in his ministry and asked to kept informed.
Hackerthon 2016 Report
- Ryan Seal (TWR South Africa) worked with assistance from Tony on a chat server optimised for low bandwidth, frequent dropouts and lower battery usage. The final app is desiged to either use this authenticated chat service or swap it for a cloud messaging service depending on the privacy and regional requirements of the teams we work with.
- Bill Randall and Daniel Goer (Cru Florida) developed a working prototype of the chat and lesson user interation that allows a user to self select their media type.
- Miheret Tilahun (Cru Florida) developed new user interface designs to assist a mentor or discipler in creating invitations and tracking disciple progress.
- Tony O’Hagan(Power to Change Australia) has gathered field user stories and feedback, developed the strategy, user experinces, user interfaces and researched software architectural solutions. He’s currently developing a production grade MVP release and thanks to the Indigitous Hackerton may now have a team to develop this ministry tool further!